Students who have not applied for a student ID card during the designated period may apply for a non-financial student ID card.

International Students: International students are required to report the information on their residence card to the Administration Office of their affiliated college after admission.

1) International students cannot apply for a financial student ID card through the designated website. Instead, after admission, they must visit Hana Bank (Korea University branch or Hana Square branch) in person with a photograph (identification or passport-sized color photograph), their residence card, and passport to apply for a financial student ID card.

2) International students may apply for a non-financial ID card either using the designated website or visiting the ONE-STOP Service Center in person after admission. When visiting the ONE-STOP Service Center, they must bring a photograph (identification or passport-sized color photograph) and their residence card and/or passport for identification purposes.


1) There are no fees for the issuance of the first student ID card.

2) Reissuance

- In the case of a card error (e.g., a malfunctioning IC chip or magnetic damage), no fees will be charged.

- In the case of a lost or stolen card, physical damage, or the replacement of the photograph, etc., a fee of KRW 5,000 will be charged.

E. Inquiries

1) Financial student ID card (Hana Bank) – Humanities and Social Sciences (Hana Bank Korea University branch): 02-928-1111

2) Non-financial student ID card (ONE-STOP Service Center) – Humanities and Social Sciences: 02-3290-1142, 1144

3) Problems related to pre-registration or application with a computer or smartphone

- SYMTRA KOREA: 02-598-0277